A lot of things can happen when you take a trip, and that includes the unthinkable like baggage loss, travel delay, and emergencies. This is where the importance of a travel insurance comes into the picture. This kind of insurance is intended to cover medical expenses, trip cancellations, and other losses that can be experienced during one’s travel. Living in Malaysia, you will realize that there is so much to explore in the country alone. Add the fact that the native cuisine of Malaysia is to die for; it’s needless to say that Malaysians are avid travelers. However, just like in any country, not all Malaysians have their travel insurance. After all, a travel insurance is one of the things you hope you would never need. If you are planning to purchase a travel insurance, here are some tips to help you find the best one.
- Avoid the cheapest policy. It can be tempting to buy the most basic plan out there, but you will be surprised by how many things are not covered. For instance, you will find insurance plans in Malaysia that will not pay for travel cancellations and property loss. There’s a saying that you can’t afford to travel if you can’t afford a travel insurance.
- Buy travel insurance online in Malaysia. Online brokers are more reliable than travel agents. In most cases, travel agents seek commissions from the sale of a high-priced plan.
- You have to give accurate details of the trip cost when signing a policy. This sounds like a no-brainer, but there are some who miscalculate their trip costs and end up ineligible for the benefits. The trip cost should include flights, accommodations, and all non-refundable payments toward your trip. Take note that there are are some things you cannot include in the trip cost. The insurance company usually does not reimburse day trips and lodging costs when you arrived at your destination.
- Read the fine print of your policy to understand what is and what isn’t covered by your insurance. There are questions you might ask, including the coverage of luggage loss and theft. All of your questions will only be answered by fully understanding the policy.
- Compare plans. A convenient way to learn the company’s reputation is by reading reviews. Travel insurance plans are all different.
A travel insurance plan may be the last thing you would want to have. But the unforeseen can happen, and that becomes worse when you are miles away from home and does not have lots of pocket money. If you have always traveled without one, don’t take further risks. It’s time to consider purchasing one for your next wanderlust trip.